February 1, 2013
So starting from the beginning:
Friday I had my ultrasound to see just how big this baby boy of ours was estimating. The technician checked 3 times. The first was 10 lbs 11 oz (she said that can't be right!), the second try 9 lbs 13 oz, third try 9 lbs 13 oz. AND, I had double the amount of amniotic fluid as a normal pregnancy. No wonder I was so HUGE! I'm telling you, I was HUGE!! I gained 47 lbs! Take my word!
So Wyatt and I ran over to my OB's office with the results of the ultrasound.
My doctor said with a baby that big he'd recommend that I get a C-Section so that there aren't any complications, and mainly so he doesn't get the shoulder displasia on the way out the birth canal. (That's where it damages all the nerves, paralyzing a limb permanently.)
I was so bummed! I'd had a bad experience with my epidural with Wyatt and had back pain for almost 2 years, not bad pain, just uncomfortable in certain positions when I'd arch my back.
I'd been planning on trying a natural birth. I bought the books and really wanted to see if I could do it.
So a C-Section was not on my list, at all.
I told the doctor I still wanted to try and deliver. I REALLY REALLY DIDN'T want a C-Section. He agreed to do what I wanted, but said if I was laboring and the baby wasn't coming down quickly enough he would really need to do a C-Section. I agreed with him.
Oh yes, and since I had so much amniotic fluid the baby was floating around still and his head wasn't down far enough to cause me to dilate. So even though I'd been having TONS of contractions, it wasn't doing anything because the baby's head wasn't putting pressure on my cervix to do anything.
So they scheduled my induction on Monday at 7am.
I called Zach and told him the news. He immediately said "WHAT. NO! There's no question, you need to get the C-Section!" I about started to bawl...right in front of a big group of friends I was with.
So Zach and I talked out things and we went back and forth on everything all night and all Saturday morning. I called friends who'd had 9-10 lbs babies and asked how things went. I called C-Section friends to see how that went. I had mixed reviews on all sides. I wanted to make sure I was making the right decision. Zach and I were reading things online that freaked us out on both sides. We prayed and prayed to know what to do. I couldn't sleep all night on Friday to Saturday morning. I came down and slept on the couch like I do frequently because I keep Zach up with my tossing and turning and scratching -because my bodies stretching so big every day.
I don't think I slept for a couple hours. So I got up at 5am and got on the elliptical downstairs and couldn't help but cry about what I was supposed to do. I'm sure I looked like a mess. A huge pregnant lady, on the elliptical, BAWLING!
I decided in my mind that I'd move forward with a C-Section. I bawled thinking about it, but then I felt at peace with it. I told Zach how I felt, but still was unsure that was the right answer.
My friend Kari a wonderful friend and photographer was going to fly out and take picture for a slideshow DVD, like she did with Wyatt, on Monday. She'd asked me to call labor and delivery about their policy on photographers in the operating room for the C-Section. So I called and talked to the sweetest nurse ever. She told me their policy and asked further questions. So I filled her in on my dilemma of C-Section or vaginal. She guessed who my Doctor was. She said "He's really really good, but likes to be more on the cautious side." She said she'd probably try to labor and then get a C-Section if need be. So that's what I started leaning more towards after our conversation. Then I was all emotional again! What to do! What to do!
Later in the day I had just put Wyatt down for a late nap, and Zach was studying at home for the bar. My friend Tiffany called at 3:34 pm saying she needed me to come and help her family jump their car at the grocery store close by. So I said I'd be right there.
I told Zach and then said "After, I'm going to stop by the hospital to get checked to see if I am leaking amniotic fluid. I'm not sure I am. I just want to find out for peace of mind. I'll be right back."
HAHA!! So I thought ;)
I probably checked into the hospital at 4:15 pm. They had my chart right there. That same super nice nurse from that morning came and got me and guessed it was me when we started talking.
She checked for amniotic fluid and said she thought she could see a faint line. She was gone forever asking other nurses what they thought. Most thought it was. I was dilated to 1 1/2 now. The on call doctor. Dr. Tepley told her to have me walk the halls with a pad on for 45 minutes. So I did. Nothing was there. Then Dr. Tepley came in and did an exam. I was dilated to a 2 1/2 and was bleeding...the bloody show, he said. then he checked for fluid. Here's where I'm exactly sure. He said 1 test was positive the other was negative. I'm not sure which was which. My contractions were stronger (I always have them, and had for months), but these were 3-4 minutes apart and very strong. Dr. Tepley told me even if I wasn't leaking amniotic fluid I'd probably be right back at the hospital an a bit because I was going into labor. He told me to call my hubby and tell him tonight was the night. So I did. :) Zach dropped Wyatt off at a friends house to spend the night then came to the hospital.
Dr. Tepley sat us down and we talked through the options. He didn't know which way to tell us to go, but he said he'd lean more toward the C-Section because it was a Saturday night, and having an emergency isn't the same as a week day, as far as staff being ready to go at any moments notice.
He gave us lots and lots of time to talk things out and figure out what to do. One nurse that took over the other awesome nurse's position told me if I was her daughter she'd have Dr. Tepley (or my actual Dr. Gleason) do the C-Section. Because they were the very best. She said the next on call Dr. was not one she'd recommend to do the surgery. She made sure to let me know, she wasn't actually supposed to be telling me that. It was so nice of her and I was so grateful she did, because that helped us in our decision. People kept checking in asking if we knew what we wanted to do. We kept apologizing but said we were leaning toward the C-Section, but not sure quite yet. That helped them to be able to get the OR ready to go, if we decided to go that route.
Zach and I prayed and prayed. Dr. Tepley said "One way of looking at it. C-Section, you are putting your own body in danger. Vaginal, you are putting the baby in possible danger."
Having it laid out like that was a no brainer to me. C-Section it is.
I told Zach that was my decision and that I felt good about it. He kept asking me if that's really what I wanted, he didn't want me to feel pressure from him or anyone else. I told him that's what I wanted. I wanted to take all the risk. If anything happened to our baby I'd never forgive myself.
So we said a prayer and went ahead with it.
C-Section here I come.
Immediately nurses, anesthesiologist, phlebotomist-is that what they call the ones who give IV's the best? All came rushing in. I was signing things here and there, getting poked all over, hooked up all over, asked questions right an left. It was pretty intense. It was stressing me out, and my nurse could tell. I asked her "Are we in a rush?" She said "No, the anesthesiologist is just like that. I hate that he acts all rushed. I hoped you wouldn't be nervous because of him acting like that. I'm so sorry he's like that." (She was so sweet to me.)
They got Zach all dressed in his gown, pants, hat, booties...I'm not sure all he had on, it was a whirlwind!
As they wheeled me out of the room and into the hall we saw Dr. Tepley coming down the hall. He said: "I just ate dinner downstairs with our Perinatalogist, he deals with all the complications in pregnancies, he's the only one in the region and he's here tonight. He said he'll come in for the surgery and assist, and a C-Section is what he'd recommend doing as well. So I think you guys are making a good choice."
My nurse was so happy for me that he was able to assist!
So that helped us feel even better about our decision.
They wheeled me down the hall and into the OR. Zach had to wait outside while they gave me the Spinal Block. I was so nervous! I had to sit up and try and curl over my belly as much as possible, which was SO hard, with my huge belly! I was shaking and I kept asking "Is this going to mess you up, I'm shaking so bad!" They reassured me is wasn't. I kept asking though. I felt the sting of the anesthetic and then all the pressure in my spine. Immediately the numbness in my lower body hit and I was told to hurry and lay down.
My nurse was so good and positive. She was the one I was leaning over to. My sharp anesthesiologist kept asking her questions and she was sharp right back at him. HAHA. I think she was really mad, and I couldn't help but feel like she was sticking up for me.
As I laid on the table I felt like I was in a dream. All the bright lights, the doctors and nurses calling out things. I could hear people calling out the check list of tools. I was so sleepy. But as much as I wanted to close my eyes and sleep, I just couldn't let myself. Any minute our baby was going to be here! CRAZY!
Zach came in. They put up the "Wall" so I couldn't see any of the surgery. Zach said he didn't want to see anything, so he stayed by my head on my side of the wall.
The Dr. Tepley said you'll feel pressure but not pain. He cleaned my belly, which I felt, then said "Do you feel any pain" "No, just pressure", I said. "OK good." And they went to slicing me open.
I looked at Zach and said "This is so crazy I can feel what they are doing, but it doesn't hurt."
I felt TONS of pressure. They told me they were pushing the baby out. They pushed and pushed my belly then stopped. I said "Zach, the baby's out." Zach peaked over the wall. He said he just saw tons of "red" so he turned back toward me.
I listened, and then heard a little squawk, and then a loud cry. A nurse called out 9:42 pm.
They brought him over to the side so we could get a quick look at him. He looked so big and chubby. Tons of dark hair. All bloody and white covered. But so darn cute at the same time! It was all so surreal!
They cleaned him off a bit then my awesome nurse told me she'd make sure to put him on my chest, skin to skin. So she followed through and did. It was so special to hold him on my chest, when just minutes ago he was inside my belly. I wish I could have held him there for a long long time, but I all of a sudden got nauseous. I started dry heaving. Zach yelled to someone "Hurry and take the baby!" I kept dry heaving and they took him off my chest and continued measuring him.
I felt much better a few minutes later. I laid there listening to all that was going on. The doctors were chatting. So I said "Hey, do you want to do some Lipo while you're in there?" They laughed and said "You don't need it." (HA, I don't believe that. I'm sure they were just being nice.)
I asked how much amniotic fluid I really had. They said 3 liters! So if you can imagine a 2 liter pop bottle and a half. Normal is just 1.5 liters.
I asked how much amniotic fluid I really had. They said 3 liters! So if you can imagine a 2 liter pop bottle and a half. Normal is just 1.5 liters.
They yelled out baby's measurements 21 inches. 8 lbs 12 oz. NO WAY! I was expecting a huge baby! He's only 3 oz bigger than Wyatt was!
My nurse said the cord was wrapped around his neck, which is common, but you never know either. That could have caused problems.
Looking back I'm kind of bummed sometimes, just for a minute, that I couldn't have delivered vaginally, but then I think of all the things that lead us to get the C-Section, and I feel good about the decision we made.
They wheeled us to another room after the surgery was over. They gave baby a bath and I had our friend Aubrey take pictures of that.
Our baby boy is so darn sweet. Zach kept saying "He looks just like Wyatt!" But I don't think so. I think he looks so different! And, he's got tons of brownish, reddish hair. Wyatt was a blonde baldy. Their faces are so different too. His eyes are much smaller than Wyatt's. He has Zach's nose, my big bridge, Zach's lips. LONG skinny toes. The pediatrician called them "Flip Flop Toes." I called them monkey feet. :) He's so sweet. Just perfect.
It all just felt like a dream. I was SO sleepy from the anesthesia. I just wanted to go to sleep. I itched for 24 hours from the morphine. But, I was so so happy my baby boy was here and healthy. I couldn't be happier!
On Day 3 we finalized the name.
Colter William Young
We'd never heard it before but love that he has 3 names in 1. Colter, Colt, and Cole.
On Day 3 we finalized the name.
Colter William Young
We'd never heard it before but love that he has 3 names in 1. Colter, Colt, and Cole.
I'll post pictures later and tell you the rest of my LONG LONG story. :)
.jpg)
4 comments:
Congrats! I am so happy for you guys! I'm sorry you had to c section, but when in doubt I'd had wanted to be better safe than sorry too. I hiope you're getting lots of rest now!
sounds like it went well! c-sections don't always go that "smooth"!!that sounds like an oxymoron... but you know.one of the worst parts about them is the hour after delivery when you might get the "shakes" super bad and feel like you are litterally going to DIE! ahhh! sounds like you got to skip that part?? I hope your recovery went/is going well!
So So So sweet! I LOVE all your detail! Made me teary. Such a beautiful experience to feel that little body inside and then on your chest the next minute. Ahhh! You did such a great job recording everything. What a lucky boy little Colter is. I just want to read the whole story again. I should be working on your slideshow!! Ha. Okay, here I go ; )
You did not look huge. I thought you looked great. I was surprised when you told me how much weight you gained because it only looked like your belly grew to me.
Hooray for good nurses!I am glad she had your back. I still talk about a male nurse I had for one of my surgeries. He was incredibly sweet and comforting. I asked if I could request him for my next surgery. He was so wonderful!
I am grateful you and Colter are both healthy and well. Can't wait to see you all soon!
Post a Comment