The Youngs

The Youngs

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Spring Break part I: Nauvoo

For Zach's spring break we decided to make a temple trip out to Nauvoo to visit my Aunt Jane and Uncle Ken, who are serving as missionaries there. We loved seeing them and had a great time. Jane and Ken even watched Wyatt for a little bit that first morning so we could go to the Nauvoo temple together. They're so great.

Lunch at Magelby's
The sun stones outside the resturant.You can see the temple in the background.


Carriage Ride
Wyatt loves horses and he says "horse" so well too.
We were FREEZING! Good thing they had TONS of blankets for everyone.


Carthage Jail The statue of Joseph and Hyrum Smith.
Jane and Ken played with Wyatt while we watched the movie, it was so nice of them!
Jane was our guide through Carthage Jail.
The upstairs jail cell.
The bullet hole that killed Hyrum Smith.

Jane did a great job telling us about Carthage Jail and she bore a beautiful testimony. Also Wyatt was freaking out, so Zach took Wyatt in the other room so the group could hear. After the group left, Jane was able to have us hear the recording all alone in the room. She told us more information, other than just the script of things she'd learned. We felt the spirit so strong there. It's so sad what happened.
The window where Joseph Smith was martyred and fell from.
The upper window from outside.

After we headed to dinner at the Great Wall in Keokuk. Ken LOVES it(I didn't get a pic). It's a dive of a place, but really it's so good!
After, Zach watched the BYU game...they lost...so sad, while I went to the Rendezvous performance. It was so good! Jane and Ken weren't performing that night, but I got to watch a video of them doing their parts...OH MAN! That was priceless! It's so funny seeing them act! They did great, it's just funny!

The Brick Yard

Zach asked Wyatt to show me the brick for the picture, so he did! He held it up and smiled a quirky little grin and tilted his head to the side. It was so dang funny! We were laughing so hard.

Joseph grave site.
So much for keeping this peaceful for others...Ooooohhh Wyatt and your meltdowns.

Outside the Blacksmith shop. Wyatt's in the Ox shoeing crate.


Sunday we went to Church with Jane and Ken. Funny side note: There was an old man with a long white beard and Wyatt said "Sansa Caus". That was pretty hilarious!

Ken and Jane served in the family history center where you can locate family members who have lived in Nauvoo. I had some. Zach found out, (as well as his family) that they have an ancestor who was buried in Nauvoo. That was pretty neat.
This is the only picture I got of my uncle Ken. (I took it with my phone.) He was serving with my aunt this day. He's the 1st counselor in the mission presidency so he's usually serving in the office.
We headed to the cemetery to see if by chance we could find where he was buried.
We hunted around for awhile, trying to see if we could find his headstone.

No luck though. A lot of the headstones were illegible.
We found his name "Edward Weaver" on the wall with the list of names of people who had been buried there.
Wyatt's having a meltdown, as you can see. This happened quite frequently :) Nauvoo was a little hard for Wyatt to handle. Sitting down, listening, not touching everything, not running around...he pretty much did the opposite of that...it's tough on a 1 year old! You'll enjoy Nauvoo later Wyatt, I promise!
Sunday was also Jane's birthday, and she LOVES coconut...so I made her a coconut cream cake.
Happy Birthday Aunt Jane!
Lucy Mack Smiths house.
Jane serving at Lucy Mack Smiths home. What a cute little pioneer! She did such a great job.

This is my ancestors home the Ashby's.
This is the house my aunt and uncle live in that we stayed with. It was so cool to be staying right there next door to Lucy Mack Smiths home, and across the street from my ancestors home.

The Nauvoo Temple


We had such an amazing time!

3 comments:

Thayerclan said...

oh so fun! glad you got to visit :)

Whitney said...

that looks way fun/neat! i totally want to go while we are semi near... I went when I was 4 but I don't think that counts.

McGuire's said...

I loved your pictures Roseanne. So great you guys went there. I'm dying to see the video of my parents performing. There were some funny pics of Wyatt's meltdowns. :) what a trooper! Mack would be terrible right now to take there!