The Youngs

The Youngs

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Governors Mansion

We went for a walk around the path of the Governors Mansion. It was so pretty!
There are so many little lakes and rivers here. There were a bunch of people fishing in this pond.
There are so many trees here it's so beautiful.

Once we got in the car to drive home my ankle was itchy so I itched it the whole way home. Then I took off my shoes and socks....low and behold I had these lovely little dots all in a row on my feet. We'd been warned about chiggers so I knew just what to do...cover them in nail polish (I used clear, you an see it in the pictures). I guess the nail polish smothers them and kills them? They are so small that you can't even see them. They live in the grass, so everyone here told us not to be on the grass. Man, I only stepped off the path and into the grass for 2 seconds to take a picture! I hate chiggers! I guess we'd better just get used to them. Just another "Welcome to the Midwest" moment for us :)
I hate chiggers! Luckily the itching stopped within 2 days though.

As a side note: Here in the Kansas there are cicadas (these crazy huge katydid/flying beetle looking insects. They are so noisy! When we stepped out of the car upon our arrival to Topeka, I said "I feel like I'm in the jungle!" It was so loud! So we have those lovely new bugs, chiggers, and TONS...I mean TONS of spiders! I'm terrified of spiders, in case you didn't know. I went looking for houses and in 2 different houses there were spiders all over, they had traps and huge spiders in them. At the one, I said, "No...I'm not interested" and then just left. The other, I was supposed to go upstairs and there were spiderwebs in the doorway and a huge spider by the first step...I paused thinking..."O.k., I can do this, just walk right past it really quick"...But, I couldn't. I flat out said "There are just way too many spiders here, I couldn't live here." That ended the tour and the lady was super rude and totally shut down and we both left. I'm that afraid of spiders! Anyway, they spray for bugs monthly in most homes/apartments, which is good, but you really can't live spiders free here. What am I going to do here!!!!!!

3 comments:

Aim Aug said...

So you want us to send RAID for Christmas? I could't handle the spiders either!!! I'm getting all heebee geebeed out just thinking about it!!!

Steph said...

Oh, no! That is awful! I hate spiders, too. We've had hobo problems before. I get so paranoid about them that I can't function! Good luck! Yuck!

Missy said...

Wow, it looks like you guys have been having fun and doing some cool things.
Sorry about the chiggers or whatever; that is so weird!
That'll be so fun to have zoo passes. We got some too, but it's way too hot for the zoo still.