The Youngs

The Youngs

Sunday, September 26, 2010

My Birthday Weekend

September 2010
I'm finally caught up! YEA! Hopefully this will be the end of my mass posting. You'll still have to click on older posts at the bottom to see the posts from a few days ago though. Sorry :)

I ran the Race Against Breast Cancer 5k in Topeka with my friend Stephanie. It was really neat.I've run in a lot of races and none of them have had anyone do a stretching warm up workout with all the runners before. It was pretty funny, especially since the person leading it sounded exactly like a gay man, it sounded almost exactly like Richard Simmons...I laughed so hard when I found out after that it was actually a girl!
Before the race started they had the song "Did you ever know that you're my hero" playing, and then they let a ton of doves loose and we watched them fly away. Then we all had balloons that we let go at the start of the race. It was really neat, I'm sure it sounds cheesy, but I loved it, especially since I was running it for my mom who was diagnosed with breast cancer a few years ago (she's cancer free now). I love her so much...it makes me tear up just thinking about it...she has been through so much! I watched her cry when her hair started falling out, then when she had to have her head shaved and wear a wig. She had so much pain with the chemo treatments and the mess ups they made with her port and the damage she had to her veins, and then later the damage to the nerves in her feet. I could go on and on about all she went through and how sad she was, but she was so strong at the same time. I am so proud of her and am so grateful for her and her example to me. I told her to write an article about a topic I saw in the Ensign, and she did...and they just told her they are going to publish it soon, so you'll have to look for it...anyway...I just love her to death and am so proud she's my mom, and I was so glad to run this race for her. I love you mom :)


Later that day we were invited over for some AMAZING Chinese food that our friends cooked for us. Then we headed over to Lake Shawnee for the Huff and Puff.
This was super cool to see. Once a year they race hot air balloons across the lake. It was beautiful.
Lake Shawnee is super beautiful, it's landscaped and there is a nice 7 1/2 mile path all around it. I've been a few times and there are tons of ducks and geese, people riding horses, paddle boats, fishers, parks and gardens, It's really nice!

The next day was my birthday. I turned 29....man, my last year in my 20's, isn't that sad. I'm getting so old!

Zach filmed Wyatt clapping for all the runners, it was pretty cute, I had to post the video.
We had a great weekend!
And this little boy is so close to walking.  He holds on to this so it helps him balance. 

7 comments:

McGuire's said...

Happy Birthday!!! Way to go on the race for your mama!

Brittany said...

Happy late birthday! Good luck in Kansas, it sounds like you're already having a blast. :)

Sherry said...

Your mom is a pretty remarkable woman and she has a pretty remarkable daughter. What a sweet tribute you paid to her! I'm proud of you both...

Rose said...

Thank you so much Roseanne for saying such sweet things about me. I cried!! You are a beautiful daughter inside and out. You are an inspiration to ME! I love you very much!

Aim Aug said...

OH yeah! You're ancient! I hope you are reading that in the extremely sarcastic tone it is intended to be read in. I hope you had a wonderful birthday. Topeka is so green and beautiful! Congrats on the race. Love that little clapper!

Paul, Cammie Jo, and Raegan said...

I haven't read your blog in a while and I'm so glad you guys are having so much fun down there! Some of the things you talk about make me laugh like chiggers, loud locusts, everybody so friendly, and instant friends at church. It totally reminds me where I grew up. Wyatt is so dang cute! We look forward to seeing you in December!

Jenn said...

Great job on your run!!! So neat to run for your mama!!! It was so fun to talk to you the other day-- thanks again for always remembering my b-day!!!